The most effective way to combat plastic pollution is to refuse to use or buy it when you have the choice to use eco-friendly alternatives. The less plastic we put out there just means less of it polluting our environment. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Bringing your own reusable bags and baskets whenever you go shopping (..and not just to the supermarket!) will reduce your plastic footprint
- Let’s say “No” to polythene for fruits and vegetables that do not need packing
- Taking your lunch in reusable containers avoids the need for lunch sheets
- Non-plastic packing materials such as paper and cardboard are much easier to recycle and are far more eco-friendly options
- When getting take out, why not use your own reusable containers instead of a styrofoam box or lunch sheet?
- Why not refuse the plastic straw accompanying your drinks and refuse the plastic spoon given with the yogurt and ice-cream cups you’re taking home?
- Instead of using disposable plastic pens – why not use a pencil to take down notes… or go digital?